The fatman chronicles--all hope renounce, ye lost, who enter here

"If the FEC makes rules that limit my First Amendment right to express my opinion on core political issues, I will not obey those rules."--Patterico's Pledge

Friday, October 14, 2005

Harriet Miers?

John Hawkins of RightWing News has gathered quotes from around the ether to support his oppostion to the confirming of Harriet Miers to the Supreme Court. I, for one, agree with him.

Not because Miers isn't a conservative. I suspect she is. Not because of her religious views. I sure don't share them, but anybody, even an atheist like me, who says their world-view isn't shaped by the exposure to religion(s) that they've had is being disingenuous, to say the least. And not because she isn't or at least won't try to be a strict originalist at interpreting the Constitution.

I just don't think she's qualified. She's never served as a judge. She's never worked or taught as legal scholar (to my knowledge). She's never published anything about the law (again, to my knowledge). Heck, she's never even argued a case before the Court (even Roberts had done that, at least). The only thing she's got going for her is that she's George W. Bush's friend. And for me, that's just not good enough.

h/t to Kevin Aylward at Wizbang for the tip on the Hawkins piece.