The fatman chronicles--all hope renounce, ye lost, who enter here

"If the FEC makes rules that limit my First Amendment right to express my opinion on core political issues, I will not obey those rules."--Patterico's Pledge

Friday, October 28, 2005

A Last Word On Miers

As hoped for (by me, at least), Harriet Miers has withdrawn her nomination to the Supreme Court. Some, like Hugh Hewitt in a New York Times editorial, and Mark at Decision '08, are decrying the fact that Miers never got a hearing or a vote. Others, such as David Frum at National Review Online, and Patterico's Pontifications are openly celebrating, or at least not shedding any tears.

As for me...

I'm sad that it came to this. I'm disappointed that President Bush would submit a nominee whose most ardent supporters could only come up with platitudes in her defense that I expounded on here. I'm angry that the President would open himself--and by extension, his supporters--to charges of more cronyism so soon after Michael D. Brown and the Katrina fiasco. And I'm relieved that we won't be seeing the spectacle of Arlen Specter and other Senate Republicans tearing Miers to shreds--and by all accounts she wouldn't have deserved that--in Judiciary Committee hearings and on the floor of the Senate.

As for what happens next, some have speculated that the protest of, and subsequent withdrawal of Miers has weakened the President, and by extension, the GOP. To which I say: Maybe they deserved to be weakened.

Now I don't even want to think about a Hillary presidency or Democratic control of Congress (especially at the same time; *shudder*), but after two straight Presidential election wins and control of both Houses of Congress (except for the few months after Jim Jeffords [I-VT] jumped ship) for over a decade, maybe we need a wake-up call. A reminder that if we want to continue to win elections, or more accurately, continue to deserve to win elections, we might want to start doing what we said we'd do when we were running for office. Like curbing the deficit by reducing spending and shrinking government. By securing our borders. And by appointing judges who know and understand the law (both constitutional and statutory) and who base their rulings on that knowledge and understanding. Not on their religious beliefs or what's in their hearts.

As for "where do we go from here?", I don't know. If I was running the show, I'd be trying to point out that the Miers nomination was an attempt by the President to find a nominee who was a conservative, but who wouldn't provoke another Democrat-led filibuster. About how principled conservatives value competence over everything else, even their own short-term interests. About how we, at least, don't ask "How high?" when our putative leaders say "Jump."

And then I'd start looking for the most uber-qualified nominee I could find.