The fatman chronicles--all hope renounce, ye lost, who enter here

"If the FEC makes rules that limit my First Amendment right to express my opinion on core political issues, I will not obey those rules."--Patterico's Pledge

Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Patterico's Pledge

Look up. Underneath the title of my blog. In small letters (put on your glasses), you'll see this:

"If the FEC makes rules that limit my First Amendment right to express my opinion on core political issues, I will not obey those rules."

Those words first appeared at a blog called Patterico's Pontifications. Outraged, as a lot of other bloggers are, at the Supreme Court's decision to uphold the Bipartisan Campaign Reform Act, more commonly known as McCain-Feingold, Patrick Patterico (pronounced Patter-EE-koh) announced last March that he would ignore any attempts by the Federal Election Commission to regulate political speech by bloggers. This is such a hot-button issue that even polar opposites such as redstate.org and the daily Kos (no link for that slimeball) have banded together to fight it.

Potential rules by the FEC could include banning bloggers from linking to candidates websites or endorsing candidates or encouraging monetary donations to candidates.

Now, as I said, Patterico first issued his challenge to take the pledge last March. I didn't start blogging until August. And I just recently found out about the pledge. But as my grandpappy would say, "Better late than never." (He'd also say, "Better never late.", but that's a discussion for another day.) Anyway, I'm in. Who's with me?