The fatman chronicles--all hope renounce, ye lost, who enter here

"If the FEC makes rules that limit my First Amendment right to express my opinion on core political issues, I will not obey those rules."--Patterico's Pledge

Monday, May 29, 2006

In Memory Of...

A couple of things I ran across while surfing the Milblogs daily archives at The Mudville Gazette:

The first (h/t to Argghhh!) is a beautiful tribute to Robert D. Kent, Captain, United States Marine Corp, who didn't make it back from Vietnam.

The second, by a fellow named Steve Schippert, can best be described as The MilBlog Manifesto, a statement about why these people work so hard, not just to defeat the terrorists (not insurgents) in Iraq, but to tell the whole story of Iraq, not just what gets filtered through the MSM's prejudices and agenda.

Just as I was finishing this, I heard that a embedded CBS news crew had been hit by a carbomb in Baghdad's Tahariyat Square. An as-yet unidentified soldier in the 4th Brigade Combat Team, 4th Infantry Division, was killed, as well as cameraman Paul Douglas, 48, and soundman James Brolan, 42. Correspondent Kimberly Dozier, 39, was critically wounded. My deepest sympathies to the families of the fallen and my wishes for a speedy and hopefully full recovery for Ms. Dozier.

Correction: The car bomb that killed Paul Douglas and James Brolan and wounded Kimberly Dozier, as well as killing a U.S. Army infantryman, was in the Karada neighborhood of Baghdad. My apologies for the mistake.