The fatman chronicles--all hope renounce, ye lost, who enter here

"If the FEC makes rules that limit my First Amendment right to express my opinion on core political issues, I will not obey those rules."--Patterico's Pledge

Saturday, July 29, 2006

Goodbye Cruel World...

...At least that seems to be what Paul at Wizbang! is saying. A little background:

About a week ago, Ace at Ace of SpadesHQ and Patrick Frey at Patterico's Pontifications accused Glenn Greenwald at Unclaimed Territory of engaging in sock puppetry i.e. commenting under aliases at other blogs that criticized him. Kevin Aylward of Wizbang! weighed in with his doubts a) here and c) here, as did Paul b) here and d) here . Paul, as he is wont to do, rather snidely. (Best to read those posts in this order - a, b, c, and d - as they make more sense that way.) Heck, even I posted on it. Anyway, a kerfuffle between Paul and Ace ensued, with Ace promising Paul that he (Paul) was going to get smoked.

As it turned out, Ace was right.

Patrick Frey sat down and constructed a complete start-to-finish timeline for the Greenwald/notGreenwald comments and posts. It's longish but worth the read if you're into this sort of thing. That, however, didn't end it.

In conceding that Ace and Patterico were right and he was wrong, Paul couldn't resist the urge to get in a couple of digs, and that set Ace off. Again.

Now Paul says that the flame war with Ace was just the last straw. That there were other things. And considering what he's been through in the last year (he lives in New Orleans), I don't doubt it. And no question Ace was being a jerk. Which is probably why Ace isn't in my blogroll and isn't likely to get there anytime soon.

But Paul brings a lot of it on himself. He absolutely cannot handle disagreement or criticism of any kind. If he's in a good mood, he'll condescend to correct you. If you offend him, he'll insult you. If you really offend him, he'll delete your comment(s) or edit them to make you look like a fool. And he's been known to ban people. Some of whom may have actually deserved it.

Now I go to Wizbang! every day. I like Jay Tea's essays and Kevin's T&A pictures. I read everything that's posted there, including stuff by Paul. I've even linked to Wizbang! posts, including some of Paul's. And I occasionally comment. But not on Paul's threads. It just isn't worth the agravation of tip-toeing around on egg shells to make sure I don't say something to p*** him off.

Will I miss him if he actually does leave? (Somewhere in that linkfest a few paragraphs back is a comment offering the over and under on when he'll be back.) Not really. As I said, he's not the reason I go there. And while I'll readily admit that he's a thousand times the writer I am, he can be replaced. Everyone can.

Linked to: Wizbang!'s Carnival of the Trackbacks, The Bullwinkle Blog's Moosetracks Open Trackbacks and Rightwingsparkle.