The fatman chronicles--all hope renounce, ye lost, who enter here

"If the FEC makes rules that limit my First Amendment right to express my opinion on core political issues, I will not obey those rules."--Patterico's Pledge

Tuesday, August 22, 2006

The Road To Hell...

...is, as my grandpappy used to say, paved with good intentions.

Michelle Malkin has started a blogburst to counter what she thinks is a paucity of reporting on the kidnappings of Fox News reporter Steve Centanni and cameraman Olaf Wiig.

While I think Michelle's motives are laudable, I'm not sure it's such a good idea. Fox originally told its on-air people not to talk about the kidnappings. The idea presumably is that if the kidnappers don't get any publicity from this, they'll be more inclined to let Centanni and Wiig go. And not do it again to other journalists.

Now you may say that I'm a hypocrite for criticizing Michelle and the other bloggers who are participating. Maybe I am. But I can't not write about it. I am not, however, linking to Michelle's post about it, joining the blogburst or including Centanni's and/or Wiig's name in the title. I'm also not sinking as low as Bob Laurence, TV critic for the San Diego Union-Tribune, who's quoted at Poynter Online as follows:

...Fox has deliberately set itself apart from other news media. Starting at the top with Roger Ailes, the Fox sales pitch has been to deride other media, to declare itself the one source of the real truth, the sole source of 'fair and accurate' news reporting. As a result, there's not a reservoir of kinship or good will with Fox on the part of the rest of the news media. You can't keep insulting people and then expect friendship when you need it.They've made it a policy to keep a distance between themselves and the rest of the media, far beyond the usual competitive spirit, so that's where they are: at a distance.

Another reason that I'm glad that I don't live in San Diego.

h/t to: Lorie Byrd at Wizbang!